Monday, March 29, 2010

Neil Young Shows a Little Love for the "Southern Man"



There's a lot of great music out there that was recorded years ago. Neil Young just so happens to have recorded loads of it. The problem is that he, and others like the remaining members of Pink Floyd and The Beatles, is not getting any younger. So there's not too many more times these amazing acts are going to be able to get around and tour.


Well Neil has decided to grace us with a few live shows, and so far most of the announced dates are down here in the good ole South. Thankfully, he will be coming to Nashville, so I won't have to travel to see him. He'll be playing the Ryman Auditorium later this year. 


I actually saw him in concert (sort of) at The Ryman a few years ago. He was there filming "Heart of Gold."
It wasn't actually a concert, per say, but he did take a break from filming to play an acoustic set that included some great songs like Needle and the Damage Done, Old Man, and After the Gold Rush. Nice.
It was also super cool because several of Nashville's greatest musicians showed up to lend a hand.
It was an amazing experience because this event was not open to the public. Tickets were circulated among those "with connections". The only reason I got a ticket was one of my patients had a family member who plays for Neil, so he gave me the hook up.


Interesting aside: I stood behind Merril Streep in line to buy beer. Cool.


Anyhoo, here's the dates for Neil's tour...
May



26 – Louisville, Ky. @ Palace Theatre
29 – Atlanta, Ga. @ Fox Theatre
30 – Spartanburg, S.C. @ Memorial Auditorium
June
1 – Nashville, Tenn. @ Ryman Auditorium
2 – Nashville, Tenn. @ Ryman Auditorium

Notice that he's coming to Nashville for two dates. Nice.
This post was really just an excuse to post the following gems of musical goodness...








2 comments:

its simple love March 30, 2010 at 5:00 PM  

I am so jealous! My dad made me love Neil Young since I listened to him all the time growing up. I wish he was coming out west.

Rachael

My Interior Life April 15, 2010 at 7:13 PM  

It's "Meryl" Streep. Let's get our facts straight. Enjoy the show!