Friday, February 26, 2010

My Basement is Flooded....


... with awesome music B-Yotch!


Nigel Godrich is my new hero. I mean this guy pisses awesomeness. Not only has he produced some bands like R.E.M., the Sundays, Paul McCartney, AIR, and some other band whose name I can't seem to recall immediately, he's also recently started playing in Atoms For Peace, and to top it all off he's created a podcast/tv program featuring bands and artists that don't suck playing in an intimate environment sans host or audience. It's called From the Basement and it's like you're there at a practice session with cool people like Beck, My Morning Jacket, Jose Gonzalez, Cold War Kids, Radiohead, The White Stripes, The Shins, Sonic Youth, Fleet Foxes, Queens of the Stoneage, Gnarls Barkley, and Jarvis Cocker. Sweet Jesus that's some amazing stuff!!

The format is very laid back and really shows a different side to music performance. It's not some huge arena staged production, quite the contrary. These bands just set up in a small studio and do they thang. It also captures some banter between band mates that mere mortals are seldom privy to. It's just a great program.

The initial idea was to release the episodes as podcasts on itunes. That failed to produce enough revenue to support the show. Now the shows can bee seen on random networks here in good 'ole Amurica and also overseas. A video compilation of several of the performances is available here, but if you're wetting yourself with excitement and can't wait, I've provided a few samples here for you to enjoy. After you view them you WILL be cooler...




Did Ya see that?! That. Just. Happened.













Dude is like buttah...









Did that rock? Yeah it did...

3 comments:

My Interior Life February 26, 2010 at 10:04 PM  

Where is this alleged basement? I'm amazed you haven't tried to infiltrate it. Meg White disturbs me for some reason. I know that's the point. I dig Beck, but it also disturbs me how he kinda looks like his brother-in-law. Am I the only one who thinks so? Radiohead's House of Cards is hands-down one of the most atmospheric, melancholy pieces of musical greatness out there.

Glad you enabled your comments so now I can revel in your awesomeness. And tell you of your spelling and grammatical errors. That's my job.

My Interior Life February 26, 2010 at 10:15 PM  

For clarification purposes, Beck's brother-in-law is the actor Giovanni Ribisi as Beck is married to Giovanni's twin sister Marisa. I always thought they kind of looked alike. Anemic, dorky, scrawny guys.

Another fun fact: they're all Scientologists!

Matt February 27, 2010 at 8:46 AM  

Meg White is a bit of conundrum. She's hot, but she's not. Sometimes she looks like like a meth addict, other times like a hottie. Definitely a contradiction. Kind of like "the soup that eats like a meal..."