Monday, February 22, 2010

Let Me Tell Ya 'Bout The Bird and the Bee...



I’m always looking for new stuff to listen to. I have to. I live in Nashville, and my ears are under constant assault by some country music “artiste” who wants me to shake my honky tonk ba-donk-a-donk, informs me that they are “coming to your ci-tay”, or is espousing the benefits of a “red-neck wo-man” lifestyle. It’s tough, but somehow I get by.


... and it’s finds like these that make life in country music ground zero tolerable. Aaah the Bird and the Bee. Not Bees. Bee. This little duo from, ahem, L.A., is the cure for what ails ya. The bird is this combo is Inara George, daughter of the late Lowell George founder of Little Feat, and the bee is Greg Kurstin.

Kurstin is a producer and keyboardist who has worked with the likes of The Flaming Lips (Sweet), Beck (Double Sweet), Kylie Minogue (Eh), and The Red Hot Chili Peppers (I like their socks). The collaboration began when George and Kurstin were working on George’s solo album.

I would describe their music as techno-jazz-synth-pop. It delicately strokes your eardrum like fizzy soda pop and makes your brain feel like you just stood up too fast. George’s voice is like a narrator from a dream. It is light and airy, and tends to put you in a bit of a trance from which you are bitch-slapped back into reality by the lyrics. What did she just say? Will you be my fucking boyfriend? uh, maybe.. And then she politely begs of us to "get up and dance" to the "crazy kick-ass beat". She’s only looking out for our best interests.




Their tunes have been cool enough to be featured on TV shows like Bones (I have no idea what that is) and Grey’s Anatomy (unfortunately I do know what that is), and they have performed live on The Tonight Show, and Jimmy Kimmel Live!.

Would you please, would you please, would you please clap your hands.


This song is my fav, but the video is a bit odd. Retro, but odd


and here is a low quality cover of a Hall and Oates song. Can you dig it?








What's new to you these days?

2 comments:

My Interior Life February 26, 2010 at 10:08 PM  

What? No Love Song to Japan? Or whatever the name of that song is that has invaded my soul. "From the West to the East . . "

Matt February 26, 2010 at 10:13 PM  

I can't put that one up there. It's just too addictive. It's like that worm that crawled in the ears of the crea of the Star Trek enterprise in "Star Trek II The Wrath of Ricardo Montablan... er The Wrath of Kahn!!"