Sunday, April 25, 2010

Live Music Friday is a few Days Late... but worth it for Sigur Ros!!

This band is just freaking amazing. I mean who in the hell thinks of picking up a cello bow to play their guitar with. Really?!  The resulting sound is a cross between singing whales and rubbing your finger on the edge of a glass half filled with water. This Icelandic group has created some of the most unique and incredibly creative music I've ever heard. It's almost surreal. You hear it and think "this really isn't music, it's more, it's , it's ... I can't put my finger on it..."
Seeing them play live is just absolutely a spectacle. He's up there with this guitar like he's trying to saw it in half with that bow, and the most beautiful sounds blast into your eardrums. Their songs are a mix of mellow put-you-to-sleep type of music and these soaring verse/chorus combinations that build to these grand crescendos.


I've always described their music as "the soundtrack for general anesthesia." I think that holds true for a lot of it, but there's a lot of joy and uplifting stuff too.


My wife and I were lucky enough to get tickets to see them at the Ryman here in good ole Nashville. What a great venue. They were still pretty unknown then, so we could see them up close and personal. the next time they came to middle Tennessee, they headlined the Bonaroo festival.


Oh and by the way, if you're new to Sigur Ros, don't try to sing along. The lyrics are either Icelandic or jibberish. Don't let that scare you away, as they are truly brilliant and worth a listen.









Here's a sample of the sonic goodness...
Watch the guitar work. I beg of you...






This is an especially beautiful song with beautiful imagery to go with...
Dudes need to work on their English though...




this has been featured in a bunch of movies about joy and hope




This is the first song that hooked me...


0 comments: