Saturday, March 7, 2009

Your Hip-Hop Got In My Alternative. Your Alternative Got In My Hip-Hop

First off let me say that the title of this post was inspired by a recent post by losbastardosunidos, but it just seemed appropriate for this post.


Gorillaz. When I first saw/heard this band in the late 90's I didn't give it a second thought. However, a few years ago I was in desperate need of something new to stimulate my tympanic membranes and this fit the bill.


Band members from left to right: Russel (back), Noodle, 2D and Murdoc.

Gorillaz is the brain child of former Blur front man Damon Albarn, and Jamie Hewlett who created the comic book Tank Girl. Their collaboration produced the world's first virtual band. In the spirit of bands like Alvin and the Chipmunks and that band from the 80's that wore giant eyeballs over their heads, the musicians in Gorillaz have an alternate corporeal form.

The band "members" include 2D, the front-tooth-missing lead singer, Russel, the periodically possed rapping drummer, Noodle, the child guitar prodigy from Japan, and Murdoc, the demonic bass player.

Musically Albarn is the only constant in Gorillaz, but he has collaborated with artists such as Danger Mouse, De La Soul, and DJ Shadow to produce the studio albums and help with live performances.

Check out some of their tunes ...









0 comments: